Foresight Health® Haemophilia
Our Foresight Health® single test for Haemophilia is ideal for breeders and owners who want the reassurance of genetic health testing.
Our DNA test results are accepted by the Kennel Club.
Haemophilia (FD), or Coagulation Factor Deficiency, is a disorder which affects normal blood clotting and causes haemophilia. Affected dogs can have a normal life, but it should be noted in case of trauma or surgery which could cause excessive bleeding.
An autosomal recessive condition caused by a mutation in the F7 gene (Factor VII Deficiency), or an X-linked recessive condition caused by a mutation in the F8 (Haemophilia A) or F9 (Haemophilia B) gene.
This test is also included in the following Foresight Health® breed packages:
- Beagle (Factor VII Deficiency)
- German Shepherd (Haemophilia A - FVIIID)
- German Wirehaired Pointer (Factor VII Deficiency)
- Giant Schnauzer (Factor VII Deficiency)
- Papillon (Factor VII Deficiency)
- Rhodesian Ridgeback (Haemophilia B - FIXD)
- Schnoodle (Factor VII Deficiency)
- Sealyham Terrier (Factor VII Deficiency)
The guideline turnaround time for single tests is approximately 10-12 working days after the swab arrives at the lab.
If you need more than two tests it is often more cost-effective to order the relevant Foresight Health® breed package.
Callan MB, Aljamali MN, Margaritis P, Griot-Wenk ME, Pollak ES, Werner P, Giger U, High KA. A novel missense mutation responsible for factor VII deficiency in research Beagle colonies. J Thromb Haemost. 2006 Dec;4(12):2616-22